Saturday, June 2, 2012

Last night we went to Betty's to have dinner and so that we can get her to shower.  So far this has worked out well because I just scoot her into the shower as I tell her I need to get dinner started.  Last night Bob took all of her decorative plates off the wall and I wrapped them in paper and stored them in the new plastic bins I purchased.  One word, hurricanes.  Betty has always taken everything down so we continue.   She took her shower, I cooked her left-overs from the night before and made sandwiches for Bob and me.  


Just a couple of the MANY plates we put away.
I brought the box of clothes that I have been gathering from her house.  I have them all washed and pressed and put into a box to send north.  As I sat there in the chair while we ate I kept praying for guidance about approaching Betty with the packing and clothes issue.


After we were done I slowly broached the subject of needing to locate some of the clothes that we are sending north.  I almost made it sound as though she had been involved in the packing all along.  Packing for this trip, as you can imagine, is one of the hugest hurdles we face going north.  Our goal this time is to send a huge number of her outfits by mail and have her pack just one suitcase.  The suitcase issue is always hard because Paula, who flies north with Betty, prefers to just have a carry on and Betty thinks she needs a million outfits.  


Betty scurried around, trying to appear to understand what was needed but not really finding a single outfit I requested.  When I asked her for slippers she pulled out a pair that had worn enough on the sole to be too dangerous for stairs.  So, I went on the search in Imelda II's closet and found a brand new pair of totes slippers with a wonderful tread.  She "never saw them before" but agreed that they would be good to pack.  As an aside I also found the little clock that we have been searching for hidden in her old slippers.  She must have put the alarm switch to "on" and her way of dealing with the ringing alarm?  Inside the slipper!  


We were able to walk out of the house with most of the things we need to send minus a few that need washing.  That will leave her with a nightie, hang around shorts, a nice shorts outfit and her underthings to put into the carry on.  It should work out ok!!!  


Bob and I know that this would be easier if we all stayed here but also know that we need to spend time in our own home and being away during hurricane season is a huge plus!  We'll see if Betty does ok with the upheaval or if this needs to be the last year we do it.  I am not sure what we will do in the alternative but we'll face that hurdle when we come to it.  Last summer it only took Betty a couple weeks to acclimate herself and feel at home.  I am hoping this year will not be too bad for her.  She does want to see her family and sister-in-law/friend Kay. Plus she spends a week with her daughter which is respite for Bob and me.


Next task... to take pictures of the inside and outside of Betty's house because she does start to forget it and that makes her anxious.  I will make up a little picture album of her home, street, her neighbors homes and just down the street, her hairdresser Janet.

No comments:

Post a Comment