Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Last night Bob mentioned that we would be leaving on Monday to head north.  Big time OOPS!  


Rule #1, is; Never tell Betty anything in advance of when she has to know. Ever.  It is remarkable how much anxiety we can prevent by following rule #1!


There was a distressed phone call not too long after they had hung up.  "So, you are leaving tomorrow?"  "I will probably get to talk to you won't I?"  The anxiety was in her voice mixed with a bit of anger that we had not come over to see her before we left.  Mind you we will be apart for a week at most.  But, to Betty a week is a million days.  


It's funny, but we try to be so careful about what we say and yet our mouths start spewing out information we KNOW we should hold back and once it is out there it is OUT!  I can't tell you how many times we have looked at each other after one or the other has let the cat out of the bag and just rolled our eyes knowing that the consequences for Betty and for us we different but equally profound.


I have been using Cozi.com for awhile.  They have this great checklist where I write down things that need to be done and check it off when it is complete.  I am THRILLED when I get to check things off.  Today I got to check off a biggie... mailing packages north.  Bob had very few to carry in because we decided to just limit what we send north as we are there for a seemingly short time.  I am not looking forward to the day when I say.."Oh darn! I left that down south!"  





1 comment:

  1. It's so hard to adjust our tongues and not tell information that we were accustomed to sharing and talking with our loved one before Alzheimer's.

    ReplyDelete